Happy Monday Friends!
Sorry things have been quiet around here, I wasn’t feeling too great last week.
Before we talk about anything else I just have to say: YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! The Seahawks won the Super Bowl! Wooooohoooo!
For those that don’t know I am a Texas transplant from the great state of Washington. Although I am not a huge sports fan I was so excited to watch the Seahawks win their first Super Bowl.
I think Rene wasn’t sure what happened to his typically sports apathetic wife because all last week I kept saying, “I am soooo excited for the Super Bowl!”
Speaking of unusual events, we have been having some crazy weather here in South Texas! 2 Weekends ago we were sweating at the beach…
And only a few days later we were “lighting” our “fire” to foster some warmth as we faced freezing temps.
Yesterday morning it was muggy and close to 70, by the time we left church it was in the 40’s and raining. Maybe the weather was foreshadowing the current temps of the Super Bowl Champs, Seahawks home state!
Today’s topic for the blog (besides how awesome the Seahawks are and the volatile nature of our South Texas weather) comes from a dream I had a few nights ago.
Yes, I had a dream about a blog post and no its not the kind of dream where you are abducted by aliens and they transplant you in your underwear to an audition for Les Miserables where you are expected to sing a solo but unfortunately all you can utter is ” ahhhh ooohhh uuuu ahhh ohhh” because you are a monkey.
In my dream I was letting you peak into my favorite corner of my house: my secret place where I spend time with Jesus most mornings.
I guess its not so secret anymore! But the reason I am letting you into my secret place is to encourage you to create your own special place with Jesus!
3 Reasons to create a Secret Place:
1. We are creatures of habit. When we associate a chair, a room, a space with an activity it is easier to quickly focus on the task at hand. This is why performers have dress rehearsals and professional athletes practice their sport daily.
When I sit in this comfy gray chair in my guest bedroom, no matter how sleepy I am I know, this is my time with Jesus, this is the space where I meet with Him.
Its easier for me to cut through the clutter in my brain and focus on talking with Him, journaling and reading the Word.
Meeting with Jesus isn’t confined to a particular space you can talk to Him anytime, anywhere, and I enjoy being with Him in nature and in coffee shops – but most mornings you will find me here.
2. You will not waste valuable time tracking down your journal, Bible, pen, devotional if you keep it in your secret place.
3. Its fun and cultivates a spirit of romance and intimacy. The Bible is full of references to Christ being our bridegroom and lover.
Marriages are a reflection of the greatest love relationship of all time. Just a bridegroom prepares the room his bride and him will share on their wedding night by sprinkling rose petals, lighting candles and preparing a romantic soundtrack – when we prepare a space that is special and intimate to our meeting with Jesus there is a sense of sacredness and expectancy over the time.
3 Tips to Creating your Space
1. Put it somewhere relatively clutter and distraction free. Mine is in the guest bedroom, because it is a low trafficked area. This means the clutter is kept to a minimum and I am not likely to be distracted by the piles of stuff that need to be put away and dust bunnies collecting in the corners.
My secret places have varied from a papasan chair in my bedroom, an empty closet that I decorated and filled with comfy pillows. Once I used a space underneath my bed when I was in college, my bed wasn’t as tall as a bunkbed but was high enough off the ground that I could sit underneath without banging my head. I have also used the back porch of my apartment.
2. Have a table nearby so that you can have your breakfast and drink on it.
3. Keep a basket close – by filled with important items so you don’t have to search for them every morning.
This is what is currently in my basket:
Blanket (because it gets a little cold in the room), journal, Bible (I like to use the paper kind so I don’t get distracted by other apps/social media on my i pad) and book I am currently referencing or reading.
What about you? Is there a special place you like to spend time with Jesus? What do you like about it? If you could make your secret place anywhere in the world and look a certain way what would it look like? (I think mine would be a on a tropical beach with a hammock.) Who were you cheering for in the Super Bowl? Or are you like me and typically don’t pay much attention to sports